!Header Logo

Waccamaw Regional Veterinary Center

!Give us a call button


!Call Icon

Don’t Let Your Pet Near These Common Holiday Foods

December 15 2016

The holiday season is about to be in full swing. One of the primary pet hazards this time of year is human foods-there are many goodies that our animal companions should never ingest! Learn more below from a Carolina Forest, SC veterinarian.

Garlic and Onions

Garlic and onions, as well as chives, leeks, scallions, and shallots, are members of the allium family of foods. These foods are all toxic to pets! Never allow your pet to ingest any form of onion, garlic, or other members of this food group, or foods that contain these ingredients. The results could be disastrous!

Grapes and Raisins

Did you know that grapes and their dried counterparts are known pet poisons? It’s not clear what specific agent in grapes and raisins causes toxicity, and some pets seem to be able to eat them without incident. Having said that, it’s certainly not worth taking a chance! If you’re setting out a fruit tray for your holiday celebration, don’t let your pet gain access.


As you probably know, chocolate is very dangerous for our four-legged friends. Chocolate of all types contains caffeine and a chemical called theobromine, both of which are harmful to animals. Keep chocolate and foods that contain chocolate far out of your pet’s reach! Candies, gums, and even certain baked goods are sometimes sweetened with xylitol, a sugar substitute that can poison pets very easily. For this reason, keep a close eye on any sweet treats you’re offering to guests.

Rich, Fatty, or Buttery Foods

Although rich, fatty, or buttery foods aren’t all necessarily toxic to pets, they’re not safe. Too much rich, buttery food will upset a pet’s stomach at the very least, most likely leading to vomiting or diarrhea. Too much fat at once can even cause a dangerous case of pancreatitis in some pets! This holiday, stick to a scrap of fully-cooked lean meat or a tiny dab of mashed potatoes (minus the butter, salt, or gravy!) if you must give your pet a treat.

Alcoholic Beverages

Alcohol is another big pet no-no. Pets respond to alcohol in the same fashion that we do; the difference is, it only takes small amounts to cause poisoning! If your holiday will include adult beverages, keep pets safely out of harm’s way so that they don’t imbibe. Ask your Carolina Forest, SC vet about other harmful foods to have your pet avoid.

!Single Blog Social Sharing Icons